Saturday, May 16, 2009

ACBSP Symposium 2009

sunrise_torreypines2009.pngI had the pleasure of attending the American Chiropractic Board of Sports Physicians in La Jolla, CA on April17-19, 2009. Our focus this year was on the hip and pelvis.

I had finally received my CCSP (Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician) last year after 120 hours spent in extra class time, many hours spent in a car or plane for travel, and many hours spent preparing for the examination. I was excited to learn more cutting edge info on hip and pelvis to add on to last year's topics of shoulder rehab.

As usual the ACBSP more than delivered. We heard from the four official chiropractors from the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing: Drs. Amor Adams, Ernie Ferrel, Ted Forcum, and Michael Reed. We went over many great case studies of how Olympians were able to compete and perform well due to sports chiropractic. We also went over the extensive use of Kinesio Tape in the Olympics as well. I learned some great new maneuvers, both joint and muscle, for the hip that are already working quite well in practice.

I always pick up a lot of useful info just talking to docs at dinner or between sessions. I gained some great tips for managing pelvic pain from Dr. Forcum that I was able to use right away.

I did take a break from classes early Sunday morning and hiked out to Torrey Pines to view the sunrise. What a gracie_abbi_christmasparade.pngview! I shot a couple of pics with just my camera phone.

The sad note of the trip is that I lost one of my beloved greyhounds, Gracie (the blue gray), to renal failure this same weekend. Thanks for all your kind words for everyone who knew.

Michael K. Van Antwerp, DC, CPed, CCSP



No comments:

Post a Comment